The following practice, if done regularly, may help you to safeguard your computer to some extent.
1. Run disc clean up, scan disk and defragmentor.
2. Keep your recycle bin emptied.
3. Clean your cache of browsers.
4. Download only the very essential programs that are required to run your business and avoid the habit of downloading whatever you get for free.
5. Update your programs to keep up the latest technology and also for a faster load time.
6. Never open suspicious emails from unknown people, especially the attachments however tempting it may be. It will be hazardous to your computer. Sometimes you may even get emails with attachments with subject saying your "Thank you for your order and the credit card details". Most of them will be sending malicious viruses through those attachments.
7. Above all remember to protect your computer with antivirus soft ware and update it regularly.
8. Backing up of all your important files and store them in two sets of floppies. In case one floppy fails to open the other one would be of help.
Before calling the technical help, it will be wise to try the following simple step, which may help you to sort out your problem.
Carefully check your connecting cord and circuit board of your computer. A gentle push may solve the problem, correcting the loose connection and a big expenditure of calling the technical person can be eliminated.